If you like traditional apple pie, you’re going to love this apple pie with hazelnut streusel! It’s made of a golden, buttery crust filled with caramelized apples topped with crunchy hazelnut streusel. So delicious and perfect for Rosh Hashana!
Apple Pie with Hazelnut Streusel
Servings 24 cm round tart pan
For the short crust pastry:
- 120 grams (1 stick) cold butter cut into cubes
- 180 grams (1 1/4 cups) all-purpose flour
- 40 grams (4 tbsp.) sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tbsp. milk it necessary
For the apples:
- 8 Granny Smith apples peeled and medium diced
- 80 grams (1/3 cup) sugar
- 20 grams (1 tbsp.) butter
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. Calvados apple liqueur
For hazelnut streusel:
- 40 grams (1/3 cup) hazelnuts
- 120 grams (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) cold butter cut into cubes
- 70 grams (1/3 cup) light brown sugar
- Icing sugar for decoration
Crust: in a food processor with
a steel blade put flour, butter, sugar, vanilla and salt and process until mixture is crumbly.
Add egg yolk and continue to process just until large clumps of dough form. If the dough is not setting, gradually add a little milk.
Transfer the dough chunks on a lightly floured work surface and form a disc-shape with your hands.
Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour.
Roll out the dough on a floured work surface about 3-4 mm thick and line the pie pan. It is important to create a right angle between the sides and the base of the crust, which will ensure the edges remain high when baking.
Using a fork create holes in the crust. Freeze the crust for about an hour.
Preheat oven to 170c degrees.
Blind baking: put a sheet of heat-resistant plastic wrap or baking paper on the frozen crust and fill with dry beans or special weights for baking.
Bake for about 12-14 minutes.
Remove the weights and the plastic wrap and continue to bake the crust for about 5-7 minutes or until it is lightly golden.
Cool completely at room temperature.
Apples: in a large skillet cook sugar into caramel over high heat. When caramel is amber in color, add apples, butter, lemon zest and juice and vanilla.
Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until apples start to soften. Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon.
Towards the end add the calvados, cook for another minute and remove from heat.
Strain the apples and cool completely at room temperature.
Hazelnut streusel: in a food processor with a steel blade put hazelnuts and flour and blend until nuts are broken.
Add the butter and the sugar and continue to blend until the mixture is crumbly.
Keep the refrigerator until use.
Assemble the pie: place the apples on half-baked crust (without fluids). Sprinkle over the streusel for complete coverage.
Bake the pie at 170c degrees for 25-40 minutes or until the dough is golden brown.
Cool at room temperature, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
- You can use any kind of nut you like instead of hazelnuts.
- You can use pears instead of apples.
- Keep the pie in a closed container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
- It is recommended to serve warm or at room temperature.