One of the things I like most about winter is oranges. As soon as winter begins and I see them on every market – I but oranges like I’m mad and bake-bake-bake with this fragrant fruit. I love the sweetness, the tartness and the freshness it brings to any kind of cake or pastry. Oranges are simply a delight!
These chocolate chip orange muffins are so easy to make. They are super fragrant and would make a great treat to have with your coffee cup on cold winter days. You only need one bowl and a whisk in order to make them, and the result is simply amazing. they would also make a delicious breakfast or snack on the go, and kids will love them!
Chocolate Chip Orange Muffins
For the muffins:
- 2 large eggs
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) sugar
- 50 ml. (3 tbsp.) vegetable oil
- 200 ml. (1 cup) sour cream
- 2 tbsp. orange liqueur
- Zest of whole orange
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 210 grams (1 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 40 grams (1/3 cup) oatmeal
- 10 grams (2 tsp.) baking powder
- 100 grams dark chocolate coarsely chopped
Preheat oven to 180c degrees and lightly grease a muffin pan.
In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, oil, sour cream, liqueur, orange zest, salt and vanilla until blended.
Add flour, oats, baking powder and chocolate and stir with a large spatula just until incorporated. It is very important not to mix the mixture too much!
Transfer the batter to the pan, and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the muffins are golden brown, set and a toothpick stuck in the center comes out with some moist crumbs.
Cool completely at room temperature and serve.
- Keep the muffins in a closed box at room temperature for up to 2-3 days. Beyond that, it is recommended to keep in the refrigerator.
- The muffins can be frozen up to a month in a sealed bag.
- Instead of orange liqueur you can use brandy or rum. If desired, you can add chopped nuts to the batter.