If you like chocolate chips cookies – you should try this chocolate layer cake! Two layers of moist and super fudgy chocolate cake filled with chocolate chips vanilla cream frosting, all topped with shiny warm chocolate ganache and cookie crumble. Heaven in your mouth!
Chocolate Chips Chocolate Layer Cake
For the chocolate cake layers:
- 2 large eggs
- 300 grams (1 1/2 cups) sugar
- 240 ml. (1 cup) milk
- 125 ml. (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. fine salt
- 240 ml. (1 cup) boiling water
- 1 tsp. instant coffee powder
- 280 grams (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 60 grams (6 tbsp.) cocoa powder
- 7 grams (2 tsp.) baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
For chocolate chip cream frosting:
- 225 grams (1 pack) cream cheese at room temperature
- 30 ml. (2 tbsp.) milk
- 60 grams (1/2 cup) icing sugar
- 20 grams (2 tbsp.) instant vanilla pudding powder
- 250 ml. (1 cup) cold heavy cream
- 200 grams dark chocolate very finely chopped
For chocolate ganache:
- 100 grams dark chocolate
- 120 ml. (1/2 cup) heavy cream
- Crumbled chocolate chip cookies
Cake: preheat oven to 170c degrees and grease the pan.
In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, milk, oil, vanilla and salt until mixture is smooth.
In a separate glass, mix coffee with boiling water until it dissolves.
Add the hot coffee into the mixture while whisking vigorously.
Add flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda and beat well until you get a smooth, dark chocolate. The mixture is very sparse and that's fine.
Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for about 40-50 minutes or until the cake is set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs.
Cool completely at room temperature and then refrigerate for about 1-2 hours.
Using a long serrated knife cut the cooled cake into 2 layers.
Chocolate chip cream: in a bowl of a mixer with a whipping hook put cream cheese, milk, powdered sugar and cream stabilizer and whip on high speed until ingredients combine.
Add cream and continue whipping at high speed until creamy and very stable.
Towards the end of the whipping add chopped chocolate until evenly disperse in the cream.
Transfer the cream to a pastry bag fitted with 2 cm round piping tip.
Assemble the cake: place a cake layer on a serving plate and pipe about half of the cream in an even layer.
Put another cake layer on top and pipe the remaining cream.
Chocolate ganache: chop the chocolate and put in a bowl. Add heavy cream and solvents together in the microwave or over double boiler.
Cool the ganache for about 1/2 hour in the fridge until it thickens slightly.
Pour the ganache freely on the cream and let it drip over the sides of the cake.
Before serving, garnish with crumbled chocolate chip cookies.
- It is recommended to make the cake a day in advance.
- Keep the cake in a closed container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- If you do not want to deal with cutting the cake layers, it is possible to divide the batter into 2 identical pans and bake each layer separately. The baking time will be shorter for each layer.
- It is important to chop the chocolate very finely in order to make it easy to pipe.