I just LOVE apple desserts! Baking with apples is definitely one of my favorites, and freshly baked apple desserts certainly spread the most appetizing aroma all over the house. I eat so many apples on a daily basis, so we always have tons of apple in our kitchen. This is why I tend to bake quite a lot with these delicious fruits – fresh apple pie, apple cake and any other apple dessert is just perfect when served hot, preferably with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream on the side.
Apple crisp is one of the easiest desserts you can make. Unfortunately, I don’t make it a lot (it’s perfect for hosting, but I prefer apple cake on a daily basis). What’s not to like? Soft sweet apples scented with vanilla that are topped with crispy, buttery, golden crumbs. It’s perfect by itself, but serving it with some ice cream makes it the ultimate dessert.
This apple crisp is the perfect dessert for cold winter days. It can easily be made vegan (using coconut oil instead of butter), and can also be made gluten free. Delicious, easy to make dessert that will become one of your favorites.
Easy Apple Crisp
For the apples:
- 4-5 Granny Smith apples
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Some cinnamon optional
For the crumbs:
- 100 grams all-purpose flour or any gluten free flour
- 100 grams light brown sugar
- 100 grams cold butter cut into cubes (or 80 grams cold coconut oil)
- Pinch of salt
Peel the apples and cut into medium cubes. Put in a bowl.
Add sugar and vanilla and stir until the apples are coated with a thin layer of sugar and vanilla.
Fill the cups with apples and stuff them well inside. The apples should fill right up to the rim of the cup.
In a bowl, place flour, sugar, butter and salt and mix into crumbly mixture with your hands.
Place the crumbs on top of the apples and press it down a bit.
Preheat the oven to 190 Celsius degrees.
Bake the apple crisp for 15-20 minutes or until the crumbs turn golden and the apple layer shrinks slightly.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve immediately (preferably with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream).
- The apple crisp can also be prepared in one large pan of about 20-22 cm in diameter.
- Instead of apples you can use other fruits: nectarines, pears, peaches, strawberries and any other fruit you like.
- It is recommended to serve the crisp as soon as it comes out of the oven, so it is at its best. However, you can keep the ready-made apple crisp well wrapped in the refrigerator and heat it before serving. It is kept like this for up to two or three days.
- If desired, you can add spices like cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, or ginger to crumbs.