It’s not so unlikely for me to get a request to make a birthday cake. It happens quite often, and if I can and have the time – I would get right on it. My automatic choice for a birthday cake is chocolate cake. It’s simple, easy and an all-time favorite. I really don’t know anyone who would say no to a big slice of chocolate cake with frosting on top.
This recipe makes a quick and easy chocolate cake, but even though it doesn’t take a long time to prepare it – it’s always a show stopper and makes everyone say WOW. It’s a simple yet beautiful chocolate cake, mainly because of its presentation. Easy chocolate cake base that is topped with chocolate ganache, cream and some grated chocolate for decoration.
Easy Chocolate Cake with Whipped Cream
For the cake:
- 180 ml. (3/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 400 ml. (2 cups) sour cream
- 300 grams (1 1/2 cups) sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 80 grams (1/2 cup + 1 tbsp.) cocoa powder
- 200 grams (1 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 10 grams (2 tsp.) baking powder
- 100 grams chocolate chips
For chocolate ganache:
- 250 ml. (1 cup) heavy cream
- 250 grams dark chocolate chopped
For the cream:
- 250 ml. (1 cup) heavy cream very cold
- Grated dark chocolate
Preheat oven to 170c degrees and grease the pan.
In a large bowl put oil, eggs, sour cream, sugar, salt and vanilla and beat well into a smooth mixture.
Add in cocoa, flour and baking powder and mix well until blended.
Transfer the batter into the pan, sprinkle the top with chocolate chips.
Bake for about 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs.
Cool at room temperature for about ten minutes, and in the meantime, prepare the ganache.
Chocolate ganache: in a small saucepan put cream and heat to a simmer.
Pour the hot cream over the chopped chocolate, wait a minute, and beat until you get a uniform and shiny chocolate ganache.
Pour the ganache over the cake.
Cool the cake completely in the refrigerator. Once the cake is cool, remove it from the pan and place on a serving plate.
Cream: whip the cream until firm.
Drizzle cream over the top of the cake in crowded mounds and decorate with grated chocolate in the center.
Serve at room temperature.
- Keep the cake in a closed container for up to 5-6 days in the refrigerator.
- It is recommended to serve the cake at room temperature rather than straight from the refrigerator.