The nights have been so cold lately, and I have a much greater desire to make hot cakes and desserts that are eaten straight from the oven and set the no-bake desserts aside. Any excuse to turn on the oven is welcome, even if it’s just to heat a piece of pastry or even plain muffins that will not be too cold. So, I made a hot chocolate cake.
Hot and decadent chocolate cake is one of the desserts that most reminds me of childhood. It’s a bit “eighties” and maybe “old-fashioned”, but you know what? A warm chocolate cake with chocolate sauce is a treat that is simply hard to resist at any point. I like to make it in individual mugs, just as if it were hot chocolate, and with the glossy chocolate sauce it becomes the perfect dessert for cold nights.
Do not confuse hot chocolate cake with soufflé or lava cake – these are three different desserts. Hot chocolate cake is just as it is called – a chocolate cake that is simply served hot. Chocolate soufflé – a cake-dessert that is especially airy chocolate in the texture of baked mousse. Chocolate lava cake – a hot chocolate cake with molten chocolate that is revealed only in the first bite.
This chocolate cake is the easiest dessert to make out of the three and is an instant satisfaction; Prepare, bake, eat. Is there anything easier than that? You must try ♥
Hot Chocolate Cake in a Mug with Hot Chocolate Sauce
For the cake:
- 2 large eggs
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) sugar
- 80 ml. (1/3 cup) vegetable oil
- 250 ml. (1 cup) whipping cream
- 45 ml. (3 tablespoons) half and half or sour cream
- Pinch of salt
- 40 grams (4 tablespoons) cocoa powder
- 100 grams (3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 50-100 grams of dark chocolate chips
For hot chocolate sauce:
- 200 grams of dark chocolate
- 205 ml. (3/4 cup) half and half
Preheat oven to 180 Celsius degrees and grease ceramic mugs with oil or melted butter.
In a bowl whisk together eggs, sugar, oil, whipping cream, half and half and salt to a smooth mixture.
Add cocoa, flour and baking powder and whisk to a smooth mixture.
Pour the mixture into the greased mugs and sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cakes are risen and set.
Hot chocolate sauce:
Chop the chocolate and place in a bowl.
In a small saucepan, heat the half and half to boiling point.
Pour the cream over the chocolate, wait a minute and stir until a uniform sauce is obtained.
Serve the hot cakes with hot chocolate sauce.
- The cakes are at their best on the day of baking.
- The cakes can be kept wrapped in the fridge for up to 5 days, but it is important to reheat before serving.
- The sauce is kept in a closed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can freeze for up to a month. It is important to reheat before serving.
- Gluten-free version: Use gluten free flour mix in the same amount instead of all-purpose flour.
- Instead of dark chocolate chips, you can use the same amount of milk or white chocolate chips.