Pound cakes are the perfect thing to open the day with. Whenever I have a slice of delicious pound cake for breakfast – I know it’s gonna be a great day.
This maple cake is definitely a favorite; a soft, buttery maple cake with maple and pecan surprise you only find after the first cut. It’s a great cake for hosting a brunch and so easy to make.
Pecan Maple Cake
For the cake:
- 150 grams soft butter
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) sugar
- 3 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 3 large eggs
- 400 ml. 3% fat natural yogurt
- 350 grams all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
For maple and pecan mix:
- 100 grams finely chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Icing sugar for decoration
Preheat oven to 170c degrees and grease the pan well.
In a bowl of a mixer with a paddle-attachment put butter, sugar, maple, vanilla and salt and blend at high speed until the mixture is creamy.
Add the eggs one at a time, while mixing between additions.
Add the yogurt and mix on slow speed until blended.
Sift in flour and baking powder and mix just until you get a smooth batter.
In a small separate bowl mix chopped pecans, maple and cinnamon.
Assemble the cake: pour about 1/2 amount of batter into the pan, and smooth the top.
Sprinkle evenly the maple and pecan mixture with a spoon in a thin layer.
Pour the remaining batter and flatten the top.
Stir with a long knife inserted into the batter in order to get marble form after baking.
Bake for about 35-45 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs.
Cool for 15 minutes at room temperature and turn on a serving plate.
Cool completely, sprinkle with icing sugar and serve.
- You can omit the cinnamon if you prefer.
- Instead of one round pan you can bake the cake in two 30 cm loaf pans. Baking time will be shorter.
- Keep the maple cake in a closed container in the refrigerator for up to a week, but you should serve it at room temperature or even slightly warm.
- Instead of pecans you can use any other kind of nut you like. You can use honey or date syrup instead of maple.