I love making carrot cakes at home. It’s easy, quick and in less than an hour I have a perfect treat next to a coffee cup.
This spelt flour carrot cake is some-what healthier than traditional carrot cake, as it contains spelt flour. There are also hazelnuts in the batter, which add crunchiness in between every bite and the result is simply delicious.
Spelt Flour Carrot Cake with Hazelnuts
For the cake:
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 200 grams (1 cup) sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 200 grams (1 cup) vegetable oil
- 50 ml. (3 tbsp.) orange juice
- 180 grams (1 1/4 cups) spelt flour
- 100 grams (3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 10 grams (2 tsp.) baking powder
- 300 grams grated carrots about 3 carrots
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) chopped hazelnuts
Preheat oven to 165c degrees.
In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, salt, vanilla and cinnamon until blended.
Add in oil and orange juice in a thin stream, while whisking, and continue stirring until absorbed.
Sift in flour, spelt flour and baking powder and fold with a spatula until almost fully incorporated.
Add grated carrots and hazelnuts and continue to fold just until blended.
Transfer the batter into greased baking pans and bake for about 35-50 minutes or until golden brown and set.
Serve at room temperature.
- Keep the cake covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days,
- You can freeze the cakes for up to a month.