Cream cakes always remind me of my childhood. Cream cakes were my top favorite dessert as a little girl, and even today it’s hard for me to resist to a good cream cake, preferable with chocolate. I love the combination of a chocolate cake that is topped with cream and ganache – it’s simply delicious and so easy to make.
This tahini chocolate cream cake is a great dessert for Passover or for any other special occasions. It’s gluten free as it contains no wheat flour, it’s easy to make, quick and absolutely delicious. It’s made of a soft, fudgy chocolate cake topped with tahini cream, chocolate ganache and halva (a Mediterranean candy). Easy and delicious!
Tahini Chocolate Cream Cake
For the chocolate cake:
- 200 grams dark chocolate
- 150 grams (1 stick + 2 tbsp.) butter
- Pinch of salt
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 100 grams (3/4 cup) cornstarch or rice flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
For the tahini cream:
- 375 ml. (1 ½ cups) cold whipping cream
- 50 grams (5 tbsp.) sugar powder
- 100 grams raw tahini
- 60 grams (6 tbsp.) instant vanilla pudding powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
For chocolate ganache:
- 100 grams dark chocolate
- 125 ml. (1/2 cup) whipping cream
Preheat the oven to 170c degrees and grease the pan.
In a bowl, put chocolate and butter and melt together in a microwave or over a double boiler until everything is melted and the mixture is uniform.
Add salt, sugar and vanilla and mix well until combined.
Add the eggs one by one, while mixing between additions.
Add cornstarch and baking powder and mix until you get a smooth, thick batter.
Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cake is swollen and set and a skewer inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs.
Cool completely at room temperature.
In a bowl of a mixer with whipping attachment put cream, sugar, tahini, instant pudding and vanilla, and whip at high speed until you get a uniform and firm whipped cream.
Pour the cream over the cold cake and straighten the top with a palate knife.
Freeze the cake for at least 2-3 hours or until the cream is completely frozen.
Chop the chocolate and put in a bowl. Add cream and melt together in the microwave or over double boiler until everything is melted and smooth.
Pour the chocolate ganache over the frozen cake.
Freeze the cake for about an hour until the coating sets.
Remove the frozen cake from the pan and decorate with halva on top.
Thaw the cake in the refrigerator for about 2-3 hours before serving.
- The cake is kept in a closed container in the refrigerator for up to 6 days.
- It’s important to use very cold whipping cream in the tahini cream in order for the cream to set properly.
- Instead of halva at the top of the cake, you can decorate with chopped nuts or any other decorations you like.